Thursday, September 22, 2011

Introducing Pat Knepley


We have an exciting guest today. If you haven’t already heard Pat has come alongside The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine to join the family of talented writers who support and encourage homeschooling parents offering their expertise in several subjects.

Art matters in education and Pat has made it her mission to pair her passion for art with her passion for God. Her beautiful commitment to both will be a blessing to us homeschool mommies who long for a bit of creativity in our home without losing the focus and appreciation for this gift our Creator has given us.

Look for Pat in her upcoming column, The Artistic Homeschooler, this January.

Of course, since such special introductions shouldn’t have to wait, Pat was kind enough to stop by and introduce herself today.



Hi Pat. It’s so nice to have you with us. Can you tell us, how did you first become interested in art? Have you always felt like an artist at heart?
I can never remember a time when I didn't want to create. Like most children, my first marks were to draw images rather than to write. My favorite gift growing up (and was in my Christmas stocking every year) was a new box of crayons. Oh, the possibilities! As social as I am, and I loved to play outdoors with my friends growing up in Pennsylvania, I also relished time alone at home on the rainy or snowy days. That meant I could spend hours drawing paper dolls, complete with an extensive wardrobe, or creating my own board game or puzzle. Before the days of recycling, my father would bring home old paper used in his office so I could have scraps of all different colors. This was a goldmine to me! It also showed me that you didn't need to have expensive art supplies or 'new" everything in order to make something special...just a lot of imagination. I drew every chance I got. Sometimes, I admit, I doodled too much during my school days, as my paper's margins would be full of cartoons or designs that were running through my brain. But I longed for the assignment of a project where I got to draw to my heart's content! God designed us in such a way that there are certain things that "fill our cup"...for me, it is making Art. If I am not doing it often enough, I sense a restlessness and lack of joy in my life and will grab a pencil to start drawing!

What would you say to a parent who wants to know why she should include art instruction her homeschool curriculum?
That would be like asking why include geography or spelling. Art is a key part of the human experience as God designed it. I truly believe God, as the Master Creator, designed us all to be creative beings as we are in His image. For some of us our creativity reveals itself in problem solving, cooking, or new business strategies. For some, it manifests as adding to the beauty of the world through Art or music. Also, the addition of arts education has been proven in study after study to result in greater academic achievement


(see www.usatoday.com/news/education/2002-05-20-arts.htm). I prefer an approach that integrates Art and Bible with core academics rather than separate stand-alone Art lessons. Educators who use the visual arts to understand world cultures, experiment with mathematics, explore literary themes, etc have seen that students not only retain information but are able to make gains in critical thinking and verbal skills. As most parents of more than one child know, kids learn a lot of different ways! Integrating practical art instruction with Bible and Art history into the core curriculum is a great way to add visual and kinesthetic opportunities for learning.

Please share with our readers today a good reason why parents should take time each day or each week for art.
Of course, as an artist, I would love to see Art instruction every day! But I think a once a week plan is a good one for the home educator. I think the reason educators pause when asked to include art instruction is the concern over lack of their own ability. "But I don't know how to teach Art" is what I often hear. I am no chemist, and really don't like chemistry but that does not mean I would eliminate chemistry from my child's curriculum! I would get chemistry books and read up in advance and use the best resource out there to make chemistry more interesting to my child. Same thing with ART! One way to solve that dilemma is to use resources out there from those who are more knowledgeable. It just means spending time to find the right fit. My ART CLASS DVD series is a foundational drawing program designed for students of all elementary ages, walking children through the seven Art elements - line, shape, space, value, color, texture, form - in a user-friendly format, with skill building application, basic supplies and step by step guidance. And no workbooks! Parents can work alongside their students if they want to or leave them on their own as they complete projects, and there is always a biblical integration as well as an Art history component. The best part is there are 36 lessons in the set...so one lesson per week for a full nine months! We are working on the next year, ART CLASS 2 right now, and I am very excited about the upcoming projects we have planned. It is a great tool for home educators who want quality instruction at a reasonable price in a flexible format that works for their family. And it is fun!




More on Pat’s outstanding artsy talents:
Pat is a See The Light Master Artist. She has been drawing and painting since she was able to hold a crayon, and loves sharing her passion for Art with kids! Pat graduated with a degree and teaching credential in Art Education from Penn State. Currently Pat serves as the Director of Children’s Ministries at a large non-denominational church in Southern California, where she combines her love for the Lord and His word with her passion for teaching kids.


You can read about and purchase her curriculum here. I also encourage you to stop by her blog. She offers free lessons and fun stuff.

Giveaway Time!

Today, we're giving away two great gifts from TOS. One winner will receive a one-year digital subscription to The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, and a second winner will receive a digital copy of the 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner.

One-Year Digital Subscription to The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine

What do you look for as you homeschool? Motivation? A little encouragement? Perhaps a unit study? Maybe an art activity? Within each issue of The Old Schoolhouse® you’ll find amazing resources, candid interviews with business owners, glimpses into the routines of other homeschools, articles from the experts in homeschooling, as well as up-and-coming innovators helping our days run a little more smoothly. Find them all in our pages along with their insight, expertise, and honesty as we all homeschool together!

Along with your subscription, you'll receive free access to Teacher's Toolbox, our exclusive, subscribers-only website packed with daily recipes, "This Day in History" lessons, printables, unit studies, and more!

E-Book: The 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner

Jump into a great year with The 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner! Erase the frazzled feel of disorganization with the 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner and bring order and efficiency to your school year. Packed with relevant articles, clever calendars, useful forms, handy lists and so much more, this planner is the key to meeting your many goals for the 2011-12 school year. We put our heart into the 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner so you'll have more time to put your heart into your home. Click here to view sample pages from the Planner.

***This contest has ended. ***

KGGx5 will enjoy a one-year digital subscription to The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine!
Emma Catarino will enjoy The 2011-12 Schoolhouse Planner!

Congratulations to our winners!

Don't let the fun end here. Keep on hopping. Don't miss one moment of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine's Birthday Bash Blog Hop. Homeschooling with Heart blog is posting daily giveaways during the blog hop, plus you can download the Ana Lyze 9-Pack bundle as a FREE gift (see here)! The fun continues until September 30th!


Thanks again for stopping by Pat! We look forward to reading your column soon.

6 comments: