Monday, September 5, 2011

Chunky is Beautiful

I just realized that my children and I make chunkies all the time and I've talked about them here and linked to places about them but I haven't really explained what they are.

A chunky is a 4x4 piece of artwork usually done on a very sturdy surface like chipboard, thick cardboard, or even re-purposed square coasters.

Once you have your surface you prepare it by painting, drawing, collaging or in any way decorating the square. The front and back should be decorated.

Give special care to leave the left side free of embellishments as it is usually bound on the left. Some people bind traditionally from top to bottom while other add a decorative ring clip at the top corner to collect their chunkies on.

On the right side you want to add your chunk. This is the really creative part. The sky is the limit here. You can tie on ribbon, buttons, beads, feathers, fibers, antique dudads, yarn scraps, lace, found objects like screws and bolt, even pop tabs are fun.

Be sure to sign and date the back.

I trade my chunkies at ATCsforall. I love that place. I can't get enough of it.

Remember, a chunky makes a great card for any family member or occasion. My children like to make them to have on hand to give out for birthdays and holidays.

Here are some of the chunkies I've made and a side shot of my chunky book.



It is so reassuring to see something beautiful referred to as chunky. It gives me hope. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment